Cannot access an object’s attributes in an array

Hello,

I am building a site with works and their credits. What I am trying o achieve is to find each work's similar works based on the mutual titles in their credits.

I am adding each similar work into an array in a for loop and when I try to access the attributes of these works I get a "nil object when you didn't expect it!" error. I can see the Work objects when I debug in the array, but can't access to their attributes. Here is the code:

class Work < ActiveRecord::Base

def similar_works     @similar_works   end

def find_similar_works     @similar_works =     for credit in self.credits       same_credits = credit.title.credits #same credits with mutual titles       for credit2 in same_credits         @similar_works << credit2.work         end     end   end

end

class WorksController < ApplicationController

def index     list     render(:action => 'list')   end

def list     # find similar works for each work     @works.each do |work|       work.find_similar_works     end   end

end

list.html

<% for work in @works -%> <% for similarwork in work.similar_works%>     <%= similarwork.name%> => nil object     <%=debug(similarwork)%> => sample debug output is below <% end %> <% end %>

--- !ruby/object:Work attributes:   name: Borozan   updated_at: 2009-07-31 12:30:30   created_at: 2009-07-31 12:25:32 attributes_cache: {}

--- !ruby/object:Work attributes:   name: Boom   updated_at: 2009-07-31 12:30:30   created_at: 2009-07-31 12:25:32 attributes_cache: {}

--- !ruby/object:Work attributes:   name: Kamuflaj   updated_at: 2009-07-31 12:30:30   created_at: 2009-07-31 12:25:32 attributes_cache: {}

Hello,

I am building a site with works and their credits. What I am trying o achieve is to find each work's similar works based on the mutual titles in their credits.

I am adding each similar work into an array in a for loop and when I try to access the attributes of these works I get a "nil object when you didn't expect it!" error. I can see the Work objects when I debug in the array, but can't access to their attributes. Here is the code:

class Work < ActiveRecord::Base

def similar_works @similar_works end

def find_similar_works @similar_works = for credit in self.credits same_credits = credit.title.credits #same credits with mutual titles for credit2 in same_credits @similar_works << credit2.work end end end

end

class WorksController < ApplicationController

def index list render(:action => 'list') end

def list # find similar works for each work @works.each do |work| work.find_similar_works end end

end

list.html

<% for work in @works -%> <% for similarwork in work.similar_works%> <%= similarwork.name%> => nil object <%=debug(similarwork)%> => sample debug output is below <% end %> <% end %>

Try putting the debug(similarwork) line before the similarwork.name line. As you have it you will see the debug for all the good ones, then the first nil one will cause the error and will not get to the debug. That is a possibility anyway. Also you could use ruby-debug to break in at that point and inspect the whole set.

Colin

Can you give us a bit more info about what "credit.title.credits" looks like? It looks like it should be an array of objects. Put a logger.info similar_works.inspect and look at your development.log to see what it says about the values it ends up with.

If it isn't an array or if it is an empty array you will just end up doing nothing and that function just exits without accomplishing much.

I see I have used the wrong variable name here... Instead of similar_works, use logger.info same_credits.inspect

Sorry about that. Your code snippet had quite a few similar_variable_names. :stuck_out_tongue: