cancel upload button

Hi Joan,

Joan Gu wrote:

There are two components to your question, so I'll break it up.

How can I add a cancel button next to the upload button

According to the W3C spec, a form can only have one button within the <form></form> tags that submits the form params. As long as you don't need to carry along the form params on your cancel, the easiest way to do what you're wanting is to use a button_to outside your form tags and then use CSS to position it, from a visual perspective, along-side the submit button and make it _appear_ to the user that side the form has two buttons.

which will stop the uploading of multiple files, and how would it be done?

If you mean 'stop the uploading after its been started', this is a tough one and I'm not aware of any built-in support in either Ruby or Rails for doing it. It's a good question though. I know the capability is built into other tools, so there must be a way to do it. Maybe someone else will be able to help with this. It's definitely interesting. I'll cipher on it and see if I can come up with something.

Best regards, Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I meant to be stop the uploading after it's been started. I did some search, but comes with no rails solution. Flash is an alternative way to do it. Well, last time I use Flash was 7 years ago...

Best, Joan

Uh, sorry, that's simply not true; multiple SUBMIT buttons are fine.

<Forms in HTML documents;

17.2.1 Control types

HTML defines the following control types:

buttons   Authors may create three types of buttons:     submit buttons: When activated, a submit button submits a form. A form may contain         more than one submit button.

FWIW,

Hi Hassan,

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

Uh, sorry, that's simply not true; multiple SUBMIT buttons are fine.

<Forms in HTML documents;

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking forms within forms, which is how this typically comes up. You are correct of course.

Best regards, Bill

There is no solution with normal form submits, and you don’t need to know anything about Flash to use a Flash uploader. Go check on swfupload.org and search the list archives for a post i made about SWFUpload and Rails.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Hi Peter,

Peter De Berdt wrote:

There is no solution with normal form submits, and you don't need to know anything about Flash to use a Flash uploader. Go check on swfupload.org and search the list archives for a post i made about SWFUpload and Rails.

That's cool. Looks like something I'll want to add to my toolkit. I _would_ like to understand how it's done though. I haven't been able to come up with the right search string for Google. Nothing gets me to the protocol definition type stuff I'm expecting looking for. Can you point me?

Thanks, Bill