can I use rake with a different compiler

Hi,

I'm trying to compile libxml-ruby under FreeBSD, and it won't compile. One of the notes with the gem says I should use gcc 4.0 to compile -- I installed gcc 4.0, but not as my native compiler, so I need to somehow specify my new compiler, when I install libxml-ruby. I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I can't find any documentation for this.

Charlie

Hi,

I'm trying to compile libxml-ruby under FreeBSD, and it won't compile. One of the notes with the gem says I should use gcc 4.0 to compile -- I installed gcc 4.0, but not as my native compiler, so I need to somehow specify my new compiler, when I install libxml-ruby. I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I can't find any documentation for this.

Have you tried (sh syntax): CC=/my/compiler/bin/gcc ; export CC, or (csh syntax): setenv CC /my/compiler/bin/gcc
to see if that gets picked up?

Charlie

Hugh

That works, thanks. Still not compiling, though. I'm getting this error when I try to install libxml-ruby from gems:

gcc -I. -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd6.2 -I. -I/usr/local/ include/libxml2 -DRUBY_EXTCONF_H=\"extconf.h\" -fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -I. - I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd6.2 -I. -I/usr/local/include/ libxml2 -c ruby_xml_xpath.c In file included from /usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml/parser.h:796,                  from libxml.h:19,                  from ruby_xml_xpath.c:5: /usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml/encoding.h:28:19: iconv.h: No such file or directory In file included from /usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml/parser.h:796,                  from libxml.h:19,                  from ruby_xml_xpath.c:5: /usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml/encoding.h:135: error: syntax error before "ifdef" /usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml/encoding.h:139: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/libxml-ruby-0.3.8.4/ext/xml.

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ libxml-ruby-0.3.8.4 for inspection. Results logged to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/libxml- ruby-0.3.8.4/ext/xml/gem_make.out