Call between controllers

It's unclear to me if these two controllers are running on the same machine or not since you referenced DRb. If they are running on the same machine how do you instantiate "AnApplicationController"? That is, Rails instantiates the controller for each incoming request and from your example that would appear to be "AuthController".

Could you simply do AnApplicationController.new.listenForAuthControllerData(some_data)? Of course, this would require setup and tear down for each invocation. Another alternative MIGHT be to instantiate it one time and store it in a class variable. If you have multiple instances of the Ruby interpreter running on your server though that might not work depending on the requirements of your application.

-Paul

Have you considered EventMachine? I have not worked with it yet myself but it supports SSL and would allow you to setup a socket server in Ruby to handle the authentication and send a response back to the client. It's available at Rubyforge. Do a google search on it. I saw this snippet of code that got me interested in marking it as a tool that I will likely use when the requirements call for it:

Create a daemon / server in 11 lines of Ruby

require 'rubygems'    require 'eventmachine'

module EchoServer      def receive_data(data)        send_data ">>> You sent: #{data}"        close_connection if data =~ /quit|exit/i      end    end

EventMachine::run {      EventMachine::start_server "127.0.0.1", 8081, EchoServer    }

-Paul