call_backs Is it?

Hi    I have the models 1.ServiceDeskTicket with fields

id --- number --- service_desk_status_id -- created_on -- updated_on etc

2.ServiceDeskActivity with fields

id -- service_desk_ticket_id -- description -- created_on -- updated_on

3.ServiceDeskAttachment    id -- service_desk_ticket_id -- attachment -- created_on -- updated_on

Relations as    ServiceDeskticket has_many service_desk_activities    ServiceDeskticket has_many service_desk_attachments    ServiceDeskActivity belongs service_desk_ticket    ServiceDeskAttachment belongs_to service_desk_ticket

Now my requiremnet is whenever a new service desk activity as well as service desk attachment is added the updated_on field of ServiceDeskTicket is to be updated..(created_on and updated_on magic fields of rails)..Can I set this in ServiceDeskTicket class like a call_back..Since I am very new to rails call back functionality asking like this..Please correct if wrong...How can I do this without rewritng the code(I ma not asking update_attribute)..If I continue like sd_ticket.update_attribute('fieldname',value) i have to do in all the definitions .How can I avoid this

Thanks in advance Sijo

Sijo Kg wrote:

Now my requiremnet is whenever a new service desk activity as well as service desk attachment is added the updated_on field of ServiceDeskTicket is to be updated..(created_on and updated_on magic fields of rails)..Can I set this in ServiceDeskTicket class like a call_back..Since I am very new to rails call back functionality asking like this..Please correct if wrong...How can I do this without rewritng the code(I ma not asking update_attribute)..If I continue like sd_ticket.update_attribute('fieldname',value) i have to do in all the definitions .How can I avoid this

Thanks in advance Sijo

Your callbacks should go in the class that triggers the actions when it is saved. eg

#in service_desk_activity.rb before_save :update_ticket

def update_ticket   self.service_desk_ticket.save end

because you're using the magic timestamps, just saving the associated ticket object should update updated_at correctly. You can use the same code in the 'attachment' class as well i think.