best_standards_support

File ./lib/rails/generators/rails/app/templates/config/environments/development.rb.tt: # Only use best-standards-support built into browsers config.action_dispatch.best_standards_support = :builtin

File ./lib/rails/application.rb: middleware.use ::ActionDispatch::BestStandardsSupport, config.action_dispatch.best_standards_support if config.action_dispatch.best_standards_support

What's the point of setting action_dispatch.best_standards_support to Symbol when we only care whether it is true or false ? Do we expect that in future there will be other possible values for this setting ?

Robert Pankowecki

And one more question: Why is this line "config.action_dispatch.best_standards_support = :builtin" added only to environments/development.rb file ? Why are we adding it when the default is True (based on ./actionpack/lib/action_dispatch/railtie.rb) ?

The fact that we are setting it only in development environment to an unsupported value that does not change the behavior at all makes me a little confused.

Robert Pankowecki

I don’t know why it’s different in the development environment but from actionpack/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/best_standards_support.rb:

case type

when true

"IE=Edge,chrome=1"

when :builtin

"IE=Edge"

when false

nil

end

The bit of history I found: "[Improve best_standards_support to use only IE=Edge in development mode](https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/6767946374353f90ce05e68d38bcb93dcb8bae56)"

So it's not an unsupported value, but that doesn't say why we do so in the development environment.

Franck

My guess is that we do now want to test IE using Chrome mode in development environment because we want to use the application like a user with normal IE to see possible differences in behavior.

Robert Pankowecki

...My guess is that we do NOT want ...