Best practice: individual or combined tests?

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to TDD. Is there a standard approach on this: Is it better to write individual tests, or combine them? A specific example - if a model Foo validates the presence of both bar and baz, is it better to have a test each for bar and for baz, or to combine the validations into a combined bar/baz test?

Thanks!

acreadinglist wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to TDD. Is there a standard approach on this: Is it better to write individual tests, or combine them? A specific example - if a model Foo validates the presence of both bar and baz, is it better to have a test each for bar and for baz, or to combine the validations into a combined bar/baz test?

I'd test them individually. In general, you want each test pretty atomic.

So for example, take a look at

(the validation specs start at line 217). I've got separate specs for each validation.

That code could use some DRYing up, though, and I do sometimes do things like

['one', 'two', 'three'].each do |field|       it "should require #{field}" do         @model.send "#{field}=", nil         @model.should_not be_valid       end     end

but note that this still produces three separate specs. I'd feel wrong if it didn't.

Thanks!

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

acreadinglist wrote:

Hi folks,

I'd test them individually. In general, you want each test pretty atomic.

So for example, take a look at http://github.com/marnen/quorum2/blob/master/spec/models/event_spec.rb (the validation specs start at line 217).

Trust Github to be smart about this! The direct URL for that line (!) is

Best,