Beginner's:Problem with populating database

Hi,

I wanted to populate the DB with (name,data) pairs based on some rules. I have created a scaffold with name and data as attributes. In the controller file under the def for index, i have changed the line @data_pairs = DataPair.all to @data_pairs = DataPair.get_all_pairs

and in the corresponding models file i have defined this function

def self.get_all_pairs //LOGIC end

i get an error undefined method 'name' for ".":String in line -> <td><%=data_pair.name %></td>

Im a beginner in ROR. Can someone help me out ?

Hi,

I wanted to populate the DB with (name,data) pairs based on some rules.

I have created a scaffold with name and data as attributes. In the

controller file under the def for index, i have changed the line

@data_pairs = DataPair.all to

@data_pairs = DataPair.get_all_pairs

and in the corresponding models file i have defined this function

def self.get_all_pairs

//LOGIC

end

i get an error undefined method ‘name’ for “.”:String

in line → <%=data_pair.name %>

You are expecting data_pair to be an object of type DataPair, with a name attribute. However, it’s not - it’s a string. Maybe you could post a gist of the get_app_pairs method and the template and we can help further.

Thanks for the reply. But i have changed the message along back but it still shows old message. My actual post was

How do we deal with database records in ruby? I wanted to return a list of records from a model func to controller. Please help me.

Have a look at the Rails Guide on Debugging for techniques you can use to debug your code. Also you say that you are a beginner. If you have not already done so then work right through some tutorials on Rails. railstutorial.org is good and is free to use online.

Colin

As I said in reply to your previous post work through some tutorials such as railstutorial.org. These will give you a grasp of the fundamentals of Rails.

Colin