basic email

Hi There,

Anyone know of a nice basic way to send an email in ruby on rails?

I'm thinking of allowing my site members to reccomend/invite friends by entering their email address and hitting send.

At a guess, to begin with I think i'd need:

def message(mail)     subject mail[:message].subject     from 'someone'     recipients mail[:recipient].email     body mail   end

then a message page, which is displayed to the user in the email invitation they receive: similar to:

<%= @user.name %> at site ABC123 thinks you should check out this site:

site name and url here....

Is there a way to implement this in a nice easy way, ensuring that a user can log in, enter a friend's email address, send it and their friend recieve the invite?

cheers

A framework for sending emails is already built into Rails. Its called ActionMailer. http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/howtos/mailers

I recommend Action Mailer Basics — Ruby on Rails Guides it is a good place to get started.

If you had a mailer named CraigMailer and you had the message defined like above

class CraigMailer < ActionMailer::Base

def message(mail)     subject mail[:message].subject     from 'someone'     recipients mail[:recipient].email     body mail   end

end

Then you can send your email by calling CraigMailer.deliver_message(mail) which will send your email provided you have smtp settings setup in your production.rb file.