bad move? - complex form with *many* observe_field's

I have a pretty complex form with many text fields and a number of selects. We let the user add multiple types of associated objects to the parent object and to edit the values for those associated objs, so the form can have something like the following number of fields on the page:

9 text fields + 3 selects + a*(1 text + 1 select) + b*(1 text + 1 select) + c*(1 text + 1 select) + d*(1 text + 1 select) + e*(1 text + 1 select) + f*(7 text + 1 select)

where the a, b, c, etc are the number of the diff types of assoc objs.

Also, it's designed to have an autosave function. I've taken an approach that is working, but I'm concerned that it may not be the best, mostly from a performance aspect.

Each of the text fields has an observe_field set up for it with catch rapid typing without droopping chars while the autosave is performed).

And each of the selects observe_field() does not have the frequency set, so that it calls the autosave fxn only on change (vs when the user is scrolling over the choices).

Anyway, does anybody see a prob having *lots* of observers like this set up on a page? Seems like there could be a prob with having that many observe_fields set up for the text fields triggering on a frequency basis.

If so, one workaround I thought of was to leave the select observers in place and have one observe_field for the currently focused text_field to reduce the number number triggering every 1.5 secs.

But, if that sounds good, how would I dynamically change the DOM ID of that single observer? Or kill the prev one and create a new one for the newly focused field?

This sounds like it may be over-engineered.

Why are you observing fields on a 1.5 second interval instead of using the "onchange" attribute of your inputs and selects?

Joe

Thx for the response, Joe.

I found that if I didnt have the the frequency set and relied on onchange, that it didnt always trigger when characters were input... it seemed to only trigger onblur when I'd move focus off the field.

But, I think that's another issue...

My concern is only partly the effect of a timer-based trigger on all these observers. I'm still wondering about having that many observers on a page in the first place.

So, actually it seems to working fine performance-wise... but, it still doesnt seem like quite the best arrangement.

Each observer is hitting your rails app every 1.5 seconds. Any sort of poll hit on your server is going to have a negative impact on scaling.

BTW I vote "bad move" on this one :slight_smile:

... with one concurrent user. What happens when you have more, each of whom has all these observers sending requests to the server every 1.5 seconds?

Also, depending on its audience, you will want to make sure this works cross-browser.

Joe

I agree that it seems you have too many event observers on a single page. Because events in JavaScript "bubble up" to their parent elements you can accomplish all of these observations with a single event observer on the parent Form element. Then the callback function for that event can determine the proper response. You'll have to write some native JavaScript rather than using the rails shortcut for observe_field but it might ultimately be the cleaner approach.

The best way I have found to do this is to observe the form, (you can observe an entire form with one observer).

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/PrototypeHelper.html#M001655

Another thing I have done i the past is have the observer fire off a javaScript function, that sets a Timeout of 2 seconds (or some number) and stores a value, then if the observe_form fires again, I clear the last timeout, create a new time out. This way your save function is called on the server only when they user has stopped typing for 2 seconds. It is a neat trick that has saved me millions of hits on my server.

I have noticed that having many observers on a page can cause client side performance problems. You may not feel them on your machine, but Not all machines swallow JavaScript the same. Your clients may feel a lot more performance problems than yourself on something like that.

Chris

Thx for the responses... a couple of my own:

1) is it true that these hit my app (i.e. the server)? I asked the question thinking the issue would be on the client side only ala Chris' response... if there's no change, it doesnt seem to call the autosave fxn, so I dont think I'm getting the server-side hit

2) I tried observe_form first, but the issue is that I have some text fields that I want to observe one way (after text changes every few secs) and some selects I want to observe another way (only onchange)... but it seemed to get triggers only in whichever way I chose for the form, so I'm not sure this can work for my case

3) finally, not sure I asked this clearly at the start, but is there some way to dynamically "move" the observer (on the text field at least) to the currently focused field and only have one?

1) Depends what you have the observer do... Sounds like you are hitting your site every 3/4 of a second for the first hit, and 1.5 seconds after that now. If you are doing a save every time the observer fires. You can write an observer to call a local function instead of doing the AJAX save. but they whole point of doing AJAX saves is to send the data to the server.

2) You can observer a form.. calls a function that looks at the field type and does different work on the change... AKA, start a timer on text field, or call AJAX directly on select field. It is a simple if else on the local JS function.

3) You could remove all existing observers and create a new observer on every new event on a new field. But it would be a bit complex. maybe the onFocus() would work for everything? Not sure. onFocus removers all observers, and makes a new observer for the current field... You would not be able to move an observer around I would think. But this would make it seem like you were.

Chris cowboyonrails

I think onChange was the better implementation.. You might even want to put in a delay to wait for them to stop typing for a second or two.

thx to all for the replies.

Turns out they changed the design away from autosave after I built it. That happens doesnt it? :slight_smile:

But, when I get a chance, I'm gonna try what Chris suggested in regard to the "moving the observer" idea. If I get something useful, I'll come back to this thread and post it.