BackgrounDRb and win32 Changes?

Hey Michael-

Thanks for the feedback. I personally don't have a win32 box to test
any of this stuff on and the win32 stuff was a user submitted patch
so I'm sorry you had troubles with it. I think that the require
rubygems problem probably doesn't show up because the ruby one click
installer sets the RUBYOPT env var to -rubygems which automatically
requires rubygems without you needing to do it yourself.

I will add a note about this to the readme and add a require
'rubygems' to the service files.

Thanks -Ezra

Hi~

Hi Ezra,

Please, do not apologize!!! I just wanted to give feedback on what I encountered. This looks very promising and I hope my feedback can be useful.

Over the course of the next few days I will be incorporating this into my application to fix a few serious issues I have with long running tasks. For example, I have an action that creates a pdf, attaches it to an email and then sends the email. For some of my remote users this gets done a few times by accident (meaning they invoke the action and for some reason the action is executed multiple times). I believe this is due to slow response time and browser retry but I don't know for sure. I do know the user isn't attempting the action multiple times via a gui action. It's causing problems in my app though and I hope BackgrounDRb will help me fix it.

I definitely will need some sort of interface where I can look at the invoked tasks and see the result of that task. In your samples, you show some ajax stuff that sends feedback to the client (if desired). In some of my use cases, I don't want (or need) the client to see what the result is. Instead, I want a management interface where I can go in and see the result of each of the invoked tasks.

Do you have anything like this yet? If not, then I'll probably create a new table to log all the requests. Then, as a request completes (successfully or otherwise) I'll log the result. From that table, if I have a failed task, I will go and "restart it" after I have diagnosed the root cause. If you have a code like this already then please share! :slight_smile: If not, then I will be able to provide something soon and if you want it you can have it.

Also, I notice that you have a basic timing mechanism (like repeat task every xx interval). I would love to get rid of my scheduled tasks that run via Windows Scheduler and hope that this will do the trick. I want specified times though so I may make a few changes to the code. For example, while it is true that I want a task to run once every 12 hours, I want it to only be started at 6:00 am and 6:00 pm! If I stop and restart the service for some reason in the middle of the day, I don't want that task to kickstart itself and then be off schedule!

You also mention wanting more samples and one of them being an email example. If you give me the requirements then I may be able to put that together for you as that's what I'm tackling at the moment (outbound emails). I also import emails every 15 minutes from an email account and will be replacing my scheduled task with BackgrounDRb - so I should be able to have both send and receive covered for you if the requirements match closely enough to mine.

Let me know if I can help. Further, if you have issues that need investigating on Windows then don't hesitate to email me. I don't check the email account regularly that I use for this mailing list but if you email to mmodica at cox dot net then I'll get it and help.

Regards,

Michael

Hey Michael-

I am working on a stats add on for the plugin that will allow you to have an admin view of all active workers and their state. I might possibly add a simple model to track these results but I am not sure if I want to make it depend on a database just yet. I'll think about it some more.

If you plan on using the plugin a bit then please come join the mailing list for it, it is fairly active and its a better place to ask questions about the plugin. The mailing list sign up address is in the readme.

Cheers- -Ezra