Avoiding ActiveRecord loading for efficiency with lots of rows

Hello all,

This is my first post to this group, so please let me know if there is any protocol I'm supposed to follow that I missed. Anyway, I've been developing a Rails application for handling the registration and score data of a math competition. There is an existing Java applet that we use that generates the score data with reference to problem_id, solver_id, and the result (which is - if blank, 0 if wrong, 1 if right, and =n if n points of partial credit are to be awarded). It saves each individual's answer to each question as a separate row in the scores table.

I've wrote a script to process this data in Rails. However, in 2008 there were over 15,000 rows in the scores table, and my current code loads every one of them. My current load time is about 5 seconds, and I think it's due to making an ActiveRecord object for every one. Is there a way to bypass making a separate object for each? I do need access to the data, but it would be nicest as an array or something under Solver. One solution I'm currently considering is using raw SQL for this, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts to weigh in.

Thanks a lot!

Greg

Quoting Greg Brockman <gregory.brockman@gmail.com>:

Hello all,

This is my first post to this group, so please let me know if there is any protocol I'm supposed to follow that I missed. Anyway, I've been developing a Rails application for handling the registration and score data of a math competition. There is an existing Java applet that we use that generates the score data with reference to problem_id, solver_id, and the result (which is - if blank, 0 if wrong, 1 if right, and =n if n points of partial credit are to be awarded). It saves each individual's answer to each question as a separate row in the scores table.

I've wrote a script to process this data in Rails. However, in 2008 there were over 15,000 rows in the scores table, and my current code loads every one of them. My current load time is about 5 seconds, and I think it's due to making an ActiveRecord object for every one. Is there a way to bypass making a separate object for each? I do need access to the data, but it would be nicest as an array or something under Solver. One solution I'm currently considering is using raw SQL for this, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts to weigh in.

There are several ways:

* A Problem has_many Scores, a Solver has_many Score, and A Score belongs_to   both a Problem and a Solver. Process one Problem at a time, or one Solver   at a time.

* SQL, e.g. select_rows('SELECT problem_id, solver_id, result FROM scores')   Returns an array of array of strings with the values in the order specified.   E.g. [['123', '345', '-'], # problem 123, solver 345, result '-'          ['124', '1024', '123'], # problem 123, solver 1024, result '123'          ...

Remember, all values are strings and may need to be converted to integers.

* Use will_paginate to retrieve results in clumps, e.g. 100 results at a time.

HTH,   Jeffrey