Automating a ruby script

I have been working on an application that takes a text file and parses information from it. I have the script in my script folder, and can run it if I enter 'script/parser file.txt'. I am using the 'attachment_fu' plug-in to upload the text file to my public folder (admittedly not the best place to keep raw data, but I will work that out in time). Once I have that file uploaded, and verified it using the 'validates_as_attachment', how do I get the script to automatically parse the file?

Would it be possible to create a helper that runs a console command? It seems possible, but not the best way. Does anyone have a better idea?

Thank you so much for any help you can give. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Is there any particular reason that you wrote the script as an external command instead of simply write that code as a class that you can call your parsing methods on?

class AttachmentParser   def parse(file)     ...your parsing code here...   end end

You could put this class either in a directory where Rails will load it automatically or you can require it wherever you want to do your parsing.

The parser was originally set up to run from the Terminal, but now I want it automated. Your way worked perfectly, and I even added the method to be called from the script, and now it will work either way. Thanks again.

On a different note, you don't happen to know how to link to an index view in another folder?