autoloading LoadError: Expected known_ip.rb to define KnownIp

Hello, i have a problem with autoloading model classes. I have had similar problems before when a file's name in Rails' opinion did not match with the name of the class defined inside, but eventually everything worked, so i didn't look into details. This time the problem comes from running Unit Tests and does not want to go away.

I have a model class KnownIP defined in a file named "known_ip.rb" (rather than "known_i_p.rb"). This file name was generated by the model generator, in i prefer it this way. In any case, the application works.

The database table is called "known_ips".

To my test_helper.rb i added

set_fixture_class :known_ips => KnownIP,

(otherwise it would guess "KnownIp").

Now, when it try to run Unit Tests, i get an error:

LoadError: Expected .../known_ip.rb to define KnownIp. gems/activesupport-3.1.0.rc6/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:486:in `load_missing_constant'

I looked into the source and experimented a bit. I would be ready to say that autoloading loads everything in the models directory, and KnownIP class gets defined just fine, but then Rails gets surprised that it has loaded a file named "known_ip.rb" but has no class named "KnownIp" (even though such class was never mentioned anywhere).

However, if i rename known_ip.rb to foo.rb, Rails does not complain that "Expected .../foo.rb to define Foo", and everything works. But i am picky and do not want a class named "KnownIP" to be defined in a filed named "foo.rb".

Can anybody please explain this or tell how to just load a file, without complains from Rails about what has not been defined inside?

Thanks.

Alexey.

I've found a recent similar question on StackOverflow:

I should probably add that adding explicit "require" or "load" did not help.

If I'm not mistaking, Rails in any case when found file name(.rb) named (passing .tableize method) as a table name, it accepts that file as a model file and seeking the class according to a convention(!) passing .classify.constantize chunk of methods. In your case you have to play with: 1) rename table name "known_ips" to "known_ip_addresses" you are picky :slight_smile: 2) set_table_name "known_ip_addresses" to a KnownIP class. 3) file name "known_ip" you can leave as is.

Valery Kvon wrote in post #1017132:

If I'm not mistaking, Rails in any case when found file name(.rb) named (passing .tableize method) as a table name, it accepts that file as a model file and seeking the class according to a convention(!) passing .classify.constantize chunk of methods. In your case you have to play with: 1) rename table name "known_ips" to "known_ip_addresses" you are picky :slight_smile: 2) set_table_name "known_ip_addresses" to a KnownIP class. 3) file name "known_ip" you can leave as is.

Thanks for the answer.

2) yes, i have set the table name in my class with set_table_name.

1,3) i do not want to rename the table or the class, or the file yet, as the application works fine. I just want to find out how to override Rails autoloading in this case (for Unit Tests).

I have tried putting "autoload" in my test_helper.rb, but it didn't work because (i cheated in my question) my KnownIP is in Admin module, so it is Admin::KnownIP, and autoload does not want to accept

autoload 'Admin::KnownIP', path

with an error: "autoload must be constant name: Admin::KnownIP (NameError)"

I have not tested yet if autoload in this case would work without Admin::.

Alexey.

I have advanced a bit: the error does not show up if i comment out

fixtures :all

in test_helper.rb and do not run known_ip_test.rb. I need to find out now how to load the known_ips.yml fixture and known_ip.rb class definition without complains from rails...

I am sorry, i have cheated. I tried with a new application, and in the described above case there were no errors, i only had to add

set_fixture_class :known_ips => KnownIP

AFTER `fixtures :all` in `test_helper.rb`

In my application, however, the class actually is `Admin::KnownIP`, and adding

set_fixture_class 'admin/known_ips' => Admin::KnownIP

does not help for some reason... I'll keep trying.

I couldn't make it work with Admin:: namespace and submitted a bug report:

https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/2572

Please comment.

Alexey.