auto_complete: if no results returned, what gets submitted?

Hi,

I'm a rails noob, tring to teach myself, so feel free to point me to the correct FM if need be :wink:

I'm playing with the auto_complete plugin. I have a page to manage expenses, and there's field 'supplier' to whom the expense is paid. I can successfully retrieve the suppliers name from the suppliers table, but when I type a name that doesn't exist yet, and submit, nothing gets submitted?

Can anyone shed any light to why that is? Ideally, in this situation, I'd like to be redirected to the supplier model 'new' page, but I can settle for it just accepting what I type?

Best regards, Wim

Wim,

I just tried it out, and it works fine for me – if I type a name that doesn’t exist, then that name is submitted.

In the controller:

auto_complete_for :supplier, :name

In the action:

render :text => “Name = #{params[:supplier][:name]}”

And in the view:

<%= text_field_with_auto_complete :supplier, :name %>

If this doesn’t help you, maybe you could post some code?

/Lasse

Hi Lasse,

thanks for repying. I have the same for the controller and the view, not sure about the action.

This is how set about to get there: % script/generate scaffold_for_view supplier name:string street:string streetnumber:decimal \     zipcode:decimal city:string mail:string phone:string vat:string % rake db:migrate % gem sources -a http://gemcutter.org % sudo gem install view_mapper % ./script/plugin install git://github.com/rails/auto_complete.git I add to the supplier model: has_many :expenses

% script/generate scaffold_for_view expense title:string amount:decimal payment:string \     description:string category:string subcategory:string date:date -- view belongs_to_auto_complete:supplier

That's it. When I add some suppliers, I can autocomplete them in the expense form, but when I use a name that's not found, it doesn't get submitted. The output of the server script is: Processing ExpensesController#create (for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-03-30 11:26:31) [POST]   Parameters: {"commit"=>"Create", "expense"=>{"date(1i)"=>"2010", "subcategory"=>"test", "category"=>"test", "date(2i)"=>"3", "title"=>"Test", "date(3i)"=>"29", "amount"=>"0.0", "payment"=>"test", "supplier_name"=>"tester", "description"=>"test"}, "authenticity_token"=>"c845768fead94721c294f12ebc6f3b508e031398"}   Supplier Load (0.2ms) SELECT * FROM "suppliers" WHERE ("suppliers"."name" = 'tester') LIMIT 1 Rendering template within layouts/expenses Rendering expenses/new Rendered expenses/_form (78.5ms) Completed in 183ms (View: 144, DB: 0) | 200 OK [http://localhost/ expenses]

Processing ExpensesController#create (for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-03-30 11:26:39) [POST]   Parameters: {"commit"=>"Create", "expense"=>{"date(1i)"=>"2010", "subcategory"=>"test", "category"=>"test", "date(2i)"=>"3", "title"=>"Test", "date(3i)"=>"29", "amount"=>"0.01", "payment"=>"test", "supplier_name"=>"", "description"=>"test"}, "authenticity_token"=>"c845768fead94721c294f12ebc6f3b508e031398"}   Supplier Load (0.2ms) SELECT * FROM "suppliers" WHERE ("suppliers"."name" = '') LIMIT 1   Expense Create (34.4ms) INSERT INTO "expenses" ("category", "subcategory", "created_at", "title", "updated_at", "amount", "date", "payment", "supplier_id", "description") VALUES('test', 'test', '2010-03-30 09:26:39', 'Test', '2010-03-30 09:26:39', 0.01, '2010-03-29', 'test', NULL, 'test') Redirected to #<Expense:0x103d8e920> Completed in 52ms (DB: 35) | 302 Found [http://localhost/expenses\]

In the first block, the name is still there (tester), but in the second, it isn't. Why would that be?

Many thanks, Wim

Strange… What is the code you use to implement the autocomplete in the view?

/Lasse