auto_complete and validate

I am trying to validate a phone number when it is update. The way that it is updated is through an auto_complete__text_field and what I tried is to have:

validates_format_of :h_phone, :with => /\(?[0-9]{3}\)?-[0-9]{3}-[0- 9]{4}/, :message => "- Phone numbers must be in xxx-xxx-xxxx format.", :on => :update

in my model, but I think that an update using a auto_complete_text_field isn't done via an update?

I tried putting that same code in my controller but validate_format_of is part of the ActiveBase class. I guess my question is how do I validate using an auto_complete_text_field or is their another way to accomplish the same thing just in a differnt way. Thx,

-S

Shandy Nantz wrote:

I am trying to validate a phone number when it is update. The way that it is updated is through an auto_complete__text_field and what I tried is to have:

Sorry, I'm using an in_place_editor_field not an auto_complete - had to many things going on at once. Thanks again,

-S

you can use in_place_edit instead of in_place_edit_field.... using in_place_edit you can customize the validation..something like this first thing is create a span of id="attr_name" next <%= in_place_edit "attr_name", {:url => url_for(:action=> "provide action" , :id => "optional id parameter") , :script=>true } %> remember the script => true says that u can now use the rjs methods in ur action....then in your action when you update the attribute by saying attribute.save check whether there attr.new_record exist.. if it does then throw an error message using errors.on. Dont forget to replace the new value which is in params[:value] with the span id attr_name using page.replace_html "attr_name", params[:value] I think that should work.