authentication error

I am not sure if I am in the right forum but here is to goes. I am a rails noob. I am trying to setup authentication in my current small cookbook app. I am following the basic tutorials. I am trying to use "Acts_as_authenticated."

I ran these commands: ruby script/plugin source HTTP://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins ruby script/plugin install acts_as_authenticated ruby script/generate authenticated user account rake db:migrate

I added "before_filter :login_required, :only => [:create, :edit, :update, :destroy]" to my controller then I launch the app in the browser. The site functions as it should then when I click on a link that needs authentication ('edit' link) I get:

NoMemoryError in RecipeController#edit negative allocation size (or too big)

Then I cannot get anything working(login,logout again until I restart mongrel. Anyone seen this?

here are my specs fedora 6 ruby 1.8.5 mysql 5.0.27

jimmygoogle wrote:

NoMemoryError in RecipeController#edit negative allocation size (or too big)

Then I cannot get anything working(login,logout again until I restart mongrel. Anyone seen this?

here are my specs fedora 6 ruby 1.8.5 mysql 5.0.27

I use the same system software, and have been struggling with the same NoMemoryError on some actions for the past few weeks.

In the end the only thing that fixed it was installing Ruby 1.8.6 (p110) from source, and re-installing all the gems. Perhaps it was caused by some bad FC6 update. So if nothing simple fixes it the least-messy major thing to do may be to update to FC7.

Please post what you did if you do manage to fix it.

Mark Reginald James wrote:

In the end the only thing that fixed it was installing Ruby 1.8.6 (p110) from source, and re-installing all the gems. Perhaps it was caused by some bad FC6 update. So if nothing simple fixes it the least-messy major thing to do may be to update to FC7.

Checking my logs, there was a recent update of the ruby rpms to version 1.8.5.113-1. You may fix your problem by changing to a later or earlier version:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=ruby

I ran the steps below but my app still gets the same error - installed ruby from source from ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p110.tar.gz - then gem install -v=1.2.3 rails

jimmygoogle wrote:

I ran the steps below but my app still gets the same error - installed ruby from source from ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p110.tar.gz - then gem install -v=1.2.3 rails

If you're sure your app is using the new Ruby, your problem may have a different cause, like an unterminated recursion. What is the full stack trace of the error?

You can instead try updating the set of ruby rpms to a later version. They can be found at the link in my last post.

I did a yum remove '*ruby*' and then did a clean install like i explained above and it seems to have fixed it. thanks for your help