assert_equal Test - how to test updates

I am testing an update via assert_equal and it does not seem to work.

I have this fixture: bob1:   id: 1000001   login: bob   glogin: bob@mcbob.com   session_token: 77a38

Here is my test method: class Guser < ActiveRecord::Base   def self.update_token(glogin, login, stoken)     u=find(:first, :conditions=>["glogin = ? AND login = ?", glogin, login])   return nil if u.nil?   if u.session_token != stoken     u.session_token = stoken     u.save     return u     end   #nil   end
end

Here is where I call the method, where I match the 'glogin' and 'login' column values and if they match I want to update the session token.

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper' class GuserTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase   self.use_instantiated_fixtures = true   fixtures :users   def test_match_login      assert_equal @bob1, Guser.update_token("bob@mcbob.com", "bob", "77a38")   end

The first time even if there is no record in the database it inserts and gives a success message: 1 tests, 1 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

Then I run it again by changing the method argument like this to update the sesison token assert_equal @bob1, Guser.update_token("bob@mcbob.com", "bob", "77a138") It still gives a success message: 1 tests, 1 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

The new value of session token is never updated in the table column from '77a38' to '77a38' . Can you please tell me how to update the sesison token if my glogin and login fields are found to match

I meant it does not update the value from '77a38' to '77a138'

vihrao wrote:

assert_equal uses the == method to compare the two objects, and == on activerecord doesn't compare attributes: it only compares the id of the object (ie do the compared objects represent the same row in the database)

Fred

assert_equal uses the == method to compare the two objects, and == on activerecord doesn't compare attributes: it only compares the id of the object (ie do the compared objects represent the same row in the database)

Fred

Fred

A small addition: it obviously also compares class and there's some fiddly stuff around handling the cases of unsaved objects

-- That is why I had this issue. I had two fixtures users.yml and gusers.yml. Both had 'bob' defined with same record ID. Now users.yml was referred by user controller and gusers.yml was referred by gusers controller. However when I did assert_equal using gusers it pulled the record from the users model instead of gusers model. I could not understand that behavior. When I changed the gusers.yml 'bob' to 'bob1' it pulled the record from the correct gusers model.

This tell me that we have make sure IDs are unique across fixtures from different models. That is confusing each model has to have its own space.

if you are using instantiated fixtures, then yes, each fixture needs its own label, but no one does that any more. If you want the bob fixture from users write users(:bob) and for the other one gusers (:bob)

Fred

While using assert_equal i am getting this error, can anybody suggest me how to recover undefined method `assert_equal' for DP_Settings:Class(NoMethodError)