asking for tools

Hi,

I have searched for a development sandbox tool, like virtualenv or buildout in python. But I didn't have results. Please, Any suggestion?

Thanks.

I have searched for a development sandbox tool, like virtualenv or

buildout in python. But I didn’t have results.

Please, Any suggestion?

What do you mean?

Running ‘rails sitename’ will create you a website.

From the resulting sitename folder you can do script/console to run an interactive console or script/server to run a single threaded development server.

What do you actually need that isn’t provided in those commands?

Cheers,

Andy

Well with a sandbox I meant a tool to exclude all my non standard ruby installation (all libraries and only use the standard instillation), but with the option to install any library only into the sandbox without problems with version with my system installation.

An example I have installed the last rails released in my system... but a production project runs on 1.2. The sandbox let me use this version without touch my system instillation to continue the development.

I read that with buildout in python I can say what library use my project, either the version of the library (e. django > 0.96) and buildout download the library and put into the sandbox without touching my system installation.

rvm is guess.

You can specify the version of gems (including rails) and plugins that your app requires in your config files (config/environment.rb, generally).

Thanks this seems be what I need.

Thanks this seems be what I need.

Along with Bundler which now puts all gems directly in to your project (there is a blog post somewhere on using Bundler with Rails 2.3…)

Cheers,

Andy

You could always set up a dedicate virtual machine for the project. For instance, I've had good results with the TurnkeyLinux Rails Appliance installed in VirtualBox. You can access it like any other networked machine and keep your development environment there.

It causes a few extra hoops to jump through, but gives you a total sandbox.

This is how I normally work.

Each of my clients have their own environment in their own virtual machine. Versions of stuff, indexers, memcache, databases... What would be a mess to maintain in a single dev machine is clean and under control this way. No matter what I did in my machine during the last month, if client C needs something I just fire up their VM and I know that's their isolated setup I could not interfere with, it has everything ready right away.

Self-contained backups are trivial as well.

You need some RAM though. I use VMware with Ubuntu. I normally edit from the Mac side via Samba, and have consoles from the VM floating around with Unity.