ArgumentError (Before process_action callback has not been defined)

I am updating from rails 4.1.7 to 5.1.5 and ruby 2.1.2 to 2.5.3.

I have been reading the rails upgrade guide, but I’m having an issue that I might not fully understand what is going on or have missed something somewhere.

I keep getting “ArgumentError (Before process_action callback :method_name_here has not been defined)” when it hasn’t been an issue before and

I can confirm that it was getting fired (and working) in 4.1.7.

My setup:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base protect_from_forgery with: :exception

before_action :customer_check

private def customer_check # Some checks are here… end end

class OrdersController < ApplicationController skip_before_action :customer_check, :only => [:new, :submit] def new end def submit end

…code…

end

class OrderFormController < OrdersController

skip_before_action :customer_check

…code…

class OrderForm::CompanyController < OrderFormController

def update

end

…code…

end

class OrderForm::RoutingController < OrderFormController

def update

end

…code…

end

end

``

As you can see that it is all inherited from the ApplicationController, which has the method. Has something changed in ruby or rails that would prevent this from working?

I have found Rails 5, "skip_before_action :authenticate_user" in every controller throw: "ArgumentError: Before process_action callback :authenticate_user has not been defined" · Issue #138 · nsarno/knock · GitHub on github, but I don’t feel like I should have to put raise: false on all of those calls as that method should be found.

Thank you