Applying the latest security patches

Anyone else having difficulty applying the latest security patches to Rails 3.0.20? Both the css_sanitizer and the sanitize patch offered fail for me, on a local, up-to-date clone of Rails. This could be my general newb-ness with git am patching. Newb as in "never tried it before".

Thanks,

Walter

Anyone else having difficulty applying the latest security patches to Rails 3.0.20? Both the css_sanitizer and the sanitize patch offered fail for me, on a local, up-to-date clone of Rails. This could be my general newb-ness with git am patching. Newb as in “never tried it before”.

What have you been doing? Is there a reason you don’t want to use the rails-3-0-stable branch which is up to date with all that ?

Fred

I read the release notes for the patch, and they specifically said that Rails 3.0 was not patched, and attached to that message were the patch files I was trying to use. One of the security alerts said that Rails 3 wasn't affected, but that was only one out of three. Yes, the errors I saw made it appear as though the patches had already been applied, at least in part.

Walter

Hello Jason,

I have gone through the editor/IDE choosing phase myself.

I have tried IntelliJ + Ruby plugin, RubyMine, TextMate, MacVim, (regular) Vim and Emacs.

I am not going to get into which editor or IDE is better, but simply why I moved from using IDE’s troo editors.ton the IDE itself.

Want to run a test? Extract a partial? Create a model or controller or view or all of the above ‘automatically’ ( scaffolding) ?

IDE’s will help you get started with the Rails ecosystem. But sometimes they create problems of their own ( my pet peeve - performing an incomplete refactoring ) or sometimes limit you by putting too much UI ahead of you ( source code control integration comes to mind. With things like Git you really have to learn the command line to be good - a UI can never take care of the myriad of commands and operations that Git offers )

My editor of choice is Emacs now. Here’s my Emacs configuration if you’re interested to go down this path. Vim/GVim/MacVim is another excellent and equally capable alternative. My personal preference is Emacs and should you like to get started with Emacs and Rails Development quickly I suggest you have a look at my Emacs configuration - https://github.com/manishchaks/Emacs-Configuration

Thanks, Manish