Amateur's effort to add a new page to his website

Hi All,

I've got a friend who's had a simple website up for years: www.xxxx.com. The site was obviously generated with some kind of fill-in-the-blanks facility. He wants to add a page to his site for his mom's stuff and asked me about the pros and cons of the alternative ideas for addressing her page:

www.mom.xxxx.com www.xxxx.com/mom www.xxxx.com/mom.html

HTML is not my long suit and I'm still working on my first Rails application, so I'm not qualified to offer an opinion.

Any suggestions for my lawyer/mathematician/non-programmer friend?

Thanks in advance, Richard

Hi All,

I've got a friend who's had a simple website up for years: www.xxxx.com. The site was obviously generated with some kind of fill-in-the-blanks facility. He wants to add a page to his site for his mom's stuff and asked me about the pros and cons of the alternative ideas for addressing her page:

www.mom.xxxx.com www.xxxx.com/mom www.xxxx.com/mom.html

It depends on whether his mom's stuff is conceptually part of his website, in which case the second or third options (for the second I presume you meant www.xxx.com/mom/some_page.html, or a completely separate site in which case the first might be more appropriate. That assumes he has the possibility of doing the first of course (depending on how his site is hosted).

Colin

Again, Colin, thanks for your guidance.

I just finished visiting my friend's site , viewing its source code and talking to him by phone

He's got a column of links on the left. Clicking one brings up the referenced page with the URL: www.xxxx.com/ThePage.html.

He's sophisticated enough to see how the link is coded and where the page's code is stored and how it's programmed. So he can replicate the structure, substituting "mom" as appropriate.

Then the mom.html appendage will bring up mom's one-and-only page without her visitors ever bringing up his law-office pages, so mom can publish that URL. But he's not averse to actually having a link to mom's site on his home page so that her users can access it that way.

I think he'll be OK, but if not I'll try to help him ... backed by my resources, like this NG.

Best wishes, Richard