Ajax

On my edit page I can update values using ajax.

In my edit action I also have something like: Model.where(model_id: id).sum(“attribute”) As the edit action is not executed anymore, I dont get a proper result after I add some new value, have to reload the page.

How is the best way to actualize the sum after edit… ?

Thanks

On my edit page I can update values using ajax.

In my edit action I also have something like: Model.where(model_id: id).sum("attribute") As the edit action is not executed anymore, I dont get a proper result after I add some new value, have to reload the page.

How is the best way to actualize the sum after edit.. ?

Are you updating the values by calling $.ajax or just passing in remote: true on your forms?

If you use $.ajax, I suggest that you pass in the sum as json which $.ajax can process. If you're using remote: true, you can create an update.js.erb or update.js.haml which will be rendered after you update.

Hi jim

As I am using remote: true I created a update.js.erb and a respond_to do |format| block. Copied the format html ocde into the update.js.erb and the update process is still working… so far so good.

But it is unclear to me how to update the Model.where(model_id: id).sum(“attribute”) query which is in edit action.

Using html, after update the edit action is called and the query is refreshed. How to get this working with js? Something like a submit or refreshing the edit action…?

Thanks for sharing…

Hi!

Hi jim

As I am using remote: true I created a update.js.erb and a respond_to do >format> block. Copied the format html ocde into the update.js.erb and the update process is still working.. so far so good.

But it is unclear to me how to update the Model.where(model_id: id).sum("attribute") query which is in edit action.

Can you paste in part of the edit template where you use the result of this query?

Using html, after update the edit action is called and the query is refreshed. How to get this working with js? Something like a submit or refreshing the edit action..?

Can you also paste your edit and update actions so we can work on the code level.

Sure…

def edit @booking = Booking.new @project = Project.find(params[:id]) @main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id) … end

def main_hours_sum(id) Booking.where(project_id: id).sum(“hour”) end

def update respond_to do |format|

format.js
  end

end

update.js.erb <% if params[:booking_ids] %> <% params[:booking_ids].each do %> <% Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? } %> <% end %>

<%end%>

Sure..

def edit     @booking = Booking.new     @project = Project.find(params[:id])     @main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id)   ...   end

def main_hours_sum(id)     Booking.where(project_id: id).sum("hour")   end

def update     respond_to do |format|

format.js       end   end

update.js.erb <% if params[:booking_ids] %> <% params[:booking_ids].each do %>     <% Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? } %> <% end %>

<%end%>

You need to move the logic in update.js.erb to the update action. I was looking for the edit template. I'd like to see how you use the @main_hours variable. What I'm thinking is this on this update action and erb.

def update @project = ... #fetch project here

# move your logic in the view here   # there's something missing here :smiley:   if params[:booking_ids]     params[:booking_ids].each do       Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? }     end   end

respond_to do |format|     format.html     format.js { @main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id) }   end end

# update.js.erb # use @main_hours to update whatever you need to update on the view

alert('<%= @main_hours %>')

o.k. Now it is like that:

def update if params[:booking_ids] params[:booking_ids].each do Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? } end end

respond_to do |format|
  format.js{
    @project = Project.find(params[:id])
    @main_hours =  main_hours_sum(@project.id)
  }
  end
end

def main_hours_sum(id) hours ||= Booking.where(project_id: id).sum(“hour”) end

update.js.erb alert(‘<%= @main_hours %>’)

The alert pops up and shows the correct amount of hours… Thanks so far…but I dont have an idea how to update/reset the @main_hours on the edit page where it is shown. As I dont leave this page, no request - no update. May be my understanding of this process is not enough yet.

Greetings

o.k. Now it is like that:

def update

if params[:booking_ids]       params[:booking_ids].each do       Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? }       end     end

respond_to do |format|       format.js{

@project = Project.find(params[:id])         @main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id)       }       end     end

def main_hours_sum(id)     hours ||= Booking.where(project_id: id).sum("hour")   end

update.js.erb

alert('<%= @main_hours %>')

The alert pops up and shows the correct amount of hours.. Thanks so far.....but I dont have an idea how to update/reset the @main_hours on the edit page where it is shown. As I dont leave this page, no request - no update. May be my understanding of this process is not enough yet.

If you can show us the code of your edit template, I can help you with the javascript to update the total number of hours.

here…is the essential

def edit

@booking = Booking.new

@partprojects = Project.find_all_by_parent_id(@project.id)

@bookings = Booking.zwischen(start, ende)

@main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id)

@part_hours = part_hours_sum(@partprojects.id)

@all_hours = @main_hours + @part_hours

end

form

<%= simple_form_for @booking, :url => booking_path, :remote => true, :method => :put do %>

<% @bookings.each do |booking|%>

<%= fields_for “booking”, booking do |f|%>

<%= f.text_field :hour, :class => ‘submittable’ %>

<%= hidden_field_tag “booking_ids”, booking.id %>

<% end %>

<% end %>

coffee

$(“.submittable”).live “change”, →

$(this).parents(“form:first”).submit()

def update

if params[:booking_ids]

params[:booking_ids].each do

Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? }

end

end

respond_to do |format|

format.js{

}

end

end

here...is the essential

def edit     @booking = Booking.new

@project = Project.find(params[:id])     @partprojects = Project.find_all_by_parent_id(@project.id)

@bookings = Booking.zwischen(start, ende)

@main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id)     @part_hours = part_hours_sum(@partprojects.id)     @all_hours = @main_hours + @part_hours   end

form <%= simple_form_for @booking, :url => booking_path, :remote => true, :method => :put do %> <% @bookings.each do |booking|%>

<%= fields_for "booking", booking do |f|%>              <%= f.text_field :hour, :class => 'submittable' %>              <%= hidden_field_tag "booking_ids", booking.id %>              <% end %>

<% end %>

coffee $(".submittable").live "change", ->     $(this).parents("form:first").submit()

def update     if params[:booking_ids]       params[:booking_ids].each do       Booking.update(params[:booking].keys, params[:booking].values).reject { |p| p.errors.empty? }       end     end

respond_to do |format|       format.js{         @project = Project.find(params[:id])         @main_hours = main_hours_sum(@project.id)

}       end   end

Ok. sorry but now I'm confused. Where are you using @main_hours, @part_hours and @all_hours? I need the part of the template that uses these variables.

I try to explain…

I have this edit form where I can edit hours

On top of the insert form itself I give Information about the complete amount of hours.

So I ask for the complete amount of hours by asking for the part / main project and add them .

When I edit hours in the form… I want of course not only update the house by form-field, but also actualize the all-together hours. (sum the table)

Normally this is done by the submit request parsing the edit action.

But now with editing the hour fields with js, this is not happening …

Hope this gets more clear now.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Ruby on Rails: Talk” group.

To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Werner Laude

webagentur.laude@gmail.com

I try to explain..

I have this edit form where I can edit hours On top of the insert form itself I give Information about the complete amount of hours.

So I ask for the complete amount of hours by asking for the part / main project and add them .

When I edit hours in the form.... I want of course not only update the house by form-field, but also actualize the all-together hours. (sum the table)

Normally this is done by the submit request parsing the edit action. But now with editing the hour fields with js, this is not happening ... ... Hope this gets more clear now.

Ok. It's clearer now but you still need to show the html code above the form where you use @main_hours, @part_hours and @all_hours. If you some sort of code before your form like this one

<div id='main-hours'>   <label>Main Hours</label>   <span><%= @main_hours %> </div>

you can add this line in update.js.erb to update the main hours

$('#main-hours span').text('<%= @main_hours %>');

Good luck!

perfect… thanks a lot…

Now I get the idea…

Werner Laude

webagentur.laude@gmail.com

$('#main-hours span').text('<%= @main_hours %>');

perfect.. thanks a lot.. Now I get the idea..

Cheers! At least we nail that one :slight_smile:

yes. thanks a lot…

The one more thing…

I try to complete that

respond_to do |format|

format.js{

@part_hours = part_hours_sum(@partprojects)

@all_hours = @main_hours + @part_hours

}

end

$(‘#main-hours span’).text(‘<%= @main_hours %>’);

$(‘#all-hours span’).text(‘<%= @all_hours %>’);

<%= @main_hours %> h
<%= @all_hours %> h

But then noting is working… mhhh…