Ajax request and redirection

This is most likely my lack of understanding of Ajax concepts, but I cannot find an answer on the web for the following question:

"Should an ajax request triggered by a specific page must come back to the same page?"

Here is my jQuery handler in the jsTree that communicates with my server side Rails code:

Note that the base_url is defined at the top of this file as shown below:

var base_url = "/folders/"; ... var handle_selected = function(docs_count_in_json) {     hide_progress();     //alert(docs_count_in_json.documents_count);     var c = docs_count_in_json.documents_count;     if (c > 0) {         // alert("Has documents to display.")         // should directly go to the documents tab if there are documents         var s_id = jQuery.tree_reference('folders_tree').selected.attr('id');         jQuery.ajax({             type: "POST",             url: base_url + 'set_current_folder/' + s_id,             beforeSend: show_progress,             data: ({authenticity_token: AUTH_TOKEN}),             dataType: "json",             error: handle_ajax_error,             success: hide_progress         });         window.location = '/documents/'         return false;     } else {         alert("This folder does not have any documents.")     } }

So I am POSTing to the url http://localhost:3000/folders/set_current_folder/1

Which invokes the set_current_folder method with a params[:id] value for my currently selected folder. The set_current_folder method is as follows:

def set_current_folder     @folder = Folder.find(params[:id])     session[:nested_folder_id] = nil     unless @folder.practice_id.blank?       session[:folder_id] = @folder.id       flash[:notice] = "Current folder set to #{current_folder.name}"       redirect_to documents_path     else # this should not happen, yet just in case       flash[:warning] = "Please associate this folder with corresponding practice first."       redirect_to(:action => 'edit', :id => session[:folder_id])     end   end

As can be seen above, set_current_folder method sets the value of currently selected folder in the session in the line of code

session[:folder_id] = @folder.id

And the redirects to the documents_controller's default index action which shows the documents for that folder. I have run the program through debugger and it actually hits that line of code and populates the :folder_id variable in the session hash.

But after redirect, it disappears and cannot be seen by the documents_controller. Finally, I get a "server error" on the page where I trigger this request instead of ending up on the index.html.erb page for the documents_controller. The server side log shows no errors. On the client side, Firefox does not show any error.

Please help me understand what is going on here?

Thanks.

Bharat

Quick edit:

On the client side, Firefox does not show any error.

I meant to say:

On the client side, Firebug in Firefox does not show any error.