adding methods to objects that were created on the fly

Hey all,

I call this method to create two objects with certain attributes but because of this, these objects do not have the attributes of any of the report object instantiated normally:

def self.sum_distance_by_date     find_by_sql("SELECT date_trunc('day', time), SUM(distance) FROM reports GROUP BY date_trunc('day', time)")   end

So this method creates two report objects with a sum method and date_trunc method but none of the instance methods assigned to regular report object instances. The problem is the sum method returns a value that I need to modify and I am not sure how to create an extra method for these two objects to do that. I try adding this to report model:

def distance_miles_for_report     self.sum * 0.000621371192   end

def distance_format     if self.has_attribute?(:distance)       return sprintf("%.2f mi.", distance_miles)     elsif self.has_attribute?(:sum)       return sprintf("%.2f mi.", distance_miles_for_report)     end   end

But simply adding this instance method to report model does not copy the methods over to the object instances created with sum_distance_by_date. So I am wondering how I can ensure that the distance_format and distance_miles_for_report method are copied to objects created with sum_distance_by_date.

thanks for response