ActiveRecord/Supporty-4.1, undefined method `assertions'

If there is a list devoted to ActiveRecord problems then I would appreciate a redirect. In the absence of same I need some assistance with part of RoRs stack, namely ActiveRecord and the testing thereof. I have a cli project which only uses AR-4.0 and whatever other stuff that gem pulls in. I am trialing the project witjh AR-4.1 and I am getting this error when I try to run my cucumber features:

undefined method `assertions' for #<String:0x00000003ba4688> (NoMethodError)
  /home/byrnejb/Projects/Software/theHeart/code/hll_th_cadex_xfer/libexec/bundler/ruby/2.1.0/gems/rspec-expectations-3.0.3/lib/rspec/matchers.rb:902:in `method_missing'
  /home/byrnejb/Projects/Software/theHeart/code/hll_th_cadex_xfer/libexec/bundler/ruby/2.1.0/gems/minitest-5.4.0/lib/minitest/assertions.rb:126:in `assert'
  /usr/lib64/ruby/2.1.0/test/unit/assertions.rb:36:in `assert'
  /home/byrnejb/Projects/Software/theHeart/code/hll_th_cadex_xfer/features/step_definitions/hll_dbms_steps.rb:15:in `find_table_model_for'
  /home/byrnejb/Projects/Software/theHeart/code/hll_th_cadex_xfer/features/step_definitions/hll_dbms_steps.rb:30:in `block in <top (required)>'

``

I googled for this and found a couple of tangential references relating to a change in minitest. However, the fix appears to be somewhat dated and in any case this is not a full RoR stack so rspec-rails is not applicable.

This problem is caused by a change in minitest 5.0 documented here:

https://github.com/seattlerb/minitest/issues/286

is fixed by using: gem “rspec-rails”, ‘~> 2.14.0.rc1’ in the gemfile.

``

Researching this further indicates that setting the version of minitest to ~> 4.0 would fix the problem but alas, AR-4.1 requires minitest-5.1 +

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem “minitest”: In Gemfile: minitest (~> 4.0) ruby

hll_th_cadex_xfer (>= 0) ruby depends on
  activerecord (>= 0) ruby depends on
    activesupport (= 4.1.4) ruby depends on
      minitest (5.1.0)

``

Which raises the question as to why, exactly, using an ORM gem demands that one install a particular testing framework that one may have no other use for. I do not use Rspec either but Aruba pulls that in and, as Aruba is a testing framework, I have to accept that. But an ORM?

In any case, is there a way around this?

The underlying issue is mentioned here in Minitest:

Whatever is including the assert functions needs to also define the assertions accessor.

Hard to advise further without seeing the relevant code in hll_dbms_steps.rb.

–Matt Jones

The relevant code seems to be:

<pre> # features/step_definitions/hll_dbms_steps.rb

def find_table_model_for( tname )   tname = tname.gsub(/ +/,"_").downcase.singularize.camelcase   expected = true   actual = defined?( tname )   message = "Expected #{tname} model class but it is not defined"   assert( ( expected == actual ), message ) end

When /should have (?:a|the) table (?:name|call)ed "?(\w+)"?/ do |tname|   find_table_model_for( tname ) end </pre>

For now we seem to worked around this problem by specifying the following code in a cucumber support file:

require 'minitest/autorun' require 'test/unit/assertions'

World( Test::Unit::Assertions )

require 'minitest'   module Minitest     attr_accessor :assertions   end

At least, things are no longer blowing up as soon as the feature run starts. It is yet to be determined whether this is a real fix as we have run into some other issues with AR-4.1 vis a vis code that runs fine with AR-4.0.