Thus, I think we should - at least for the next couple of months,
maybe for a really long time - collect this data, custom backends etc.
in a central place, make it easy to find and install, but not ship it
with Rails itself.
That said, this is just my personal opinion ... we explicitely did not
want to decide on this matter without asking Rails core about this. So
we're really interested in what the community thinks about this.
I agree with this sentiment, but for slightly different reasons.
We're not qualified to make the judgement calls, and it shouldn't be
tied to our release timetable.
If you add up all the languages people on the core team speak, it's
more than 1, but probably less than 5. we're in no position to judge
between two competing translation patches for pashtun or gulf arabic.
Or to apply a patch which purports to correct a spelling error in the
simplified chinese translations.
It also ties the releases of fixes and updates to translations to the
rails release schedule, if we have to push out a point release do we
wait for translators? If the translations have a bunch of bugs but
we're waiting for a new branch to land, do we hold off the releases of
the translation fixes?
I think for now the easiest option is just to keep them seperate, but
perhaps provide a rake task or a standard way for plugins to contain